Saturday, August 11, 2012

Back to it....and loving maths!

It's been so long since I have blogged! By the end of Semester 1, I'd had enough of school. I managed to catch the flu this term then have neck/back problems which made it hard to spend any extended time on the computer. But I'm back to it now!

Last week I finally implemented a workshop model for Maths, inspired by The Caffeinated Teacher's  book study on Guided Math. I used to do this two years ago and I'm glad I started it again. After just a week, I have been reminded that it is a powerful tool in ensuring that all students are being challenged and gaining a deeper conceptual understanding.

We are studying fractions at the moment and I gave a pre-test by pulling together some of the most difficult questions from the associated assessments in their iMaths Assessment Tracker. Using this data and also my own knowledge of the students, I have been able to group each day in a flexible way. I <3 my kids as I just pull up a timetable on the data screen showing who is doing what and when and they quietly just move off and dive into it.


We still do our morning rotations about three days a week although sometimes I have to schedule it in for the afternoon! The students love the daily puzzlers and I have seen a marked improvement in their problem solving skills but also in their ability to write correspondent number sentences. With one group, this means they sometimes have to write simple algebraic expressions such as 2x + x = 15. All groups are receiving constant revision in the order of operations even though I haven't formally taught it this year. I highly recommend Laura Candler's Daily Maths Puzzlers to anyone who would like to introduce systemic and differentiated problem solving.



Another activity in the rotation is either playing games to revise number facts or to practise mental maths strategies. We now have half the class who have mastered their multiplication facts (at least 45/50 correct in under 3 minutes) and everyone else has made massive progress. Now that the students are more independent in their problem solving, I want to focus more on helping with their multiplication facts.

The last activity is either Words Their Way (even if we haven't had focussed spelling that morning), handwriting or lately I have been throwing in some games to reinforce number sense (particular for students who still find place value difficult).

I alternate weekly between calendar maths and explicit lessons on mental operations, again aiming to have a session at least three times a week. I wish I could do calendar maths every day and mental operations more frequently but there's not enought time. Nonetheless, I have again seen a marked improvement with the calendar maths. I used to have to sit next to a group of students and help them with every single question and they can now do so much more of it by themselves. Working with the large numbers has really reinforced an understanding of place value. I  have modelled mine on Calendar Math by Stephanie from Teaching in Room 6.

Finally, thank you to Stephanie and the other bloggers who are taking part in the Back 2 School Cyber Search. Your freebies are much appreciated - even though it's the middle of the year here!

No comments:

Post a Comment