Thursday, April 26, 2012

Anzac Day....and world peace doves!

To finish off our week of Anzac Day activities, we read The Red Poppy, written by David Hill and illustrated by Fifi Colston. This beautiful book  talks about showing compassion to one's enemies, treating all people with dignity, and focusing on similarities between people rather than differences.

We reflected on these ideas and how we can act in ways that create a more peaceful world both now and later as they become adults. We talked about buying power and I told them the story of my friend who only buys second-hand, fair trade or home-made things and why.

We finished by making these world peace doves (from a BLM activity). On the dove the students had to write how their actions show peace. On the tail they wrote an acrostic for ANZAC Day and on the wings they wrote values that lead to world peace. The last part fits perfectly into our RE unit which is looking at Christian values. According to the directions you'd punch a hole in the top and string them from somewhere but we think they look great stuck up on the door!

I work for world peace when I show kindness and respect. I work for world peace when I am truthful and honest. I work for world peace when I show kindness to others. I work for world peace when I buy items that haven't been made by people who don't get paid as much or slaves.

Love, justice, happiness, gentle, patience, honesty, generosity, fairness, respect, faith, kindness, wisdom, special, loyalty, help, hope, love, faithful, fairness, truth, beautiful, encourage, strength.

I am so lucky to work with these students each day!

No comments:

Post a Comment