Thursday, April 12, 2012

During term one, my students loved practising their multiplication facts using Partner Games. These are just very simple games mostly involving dice and playing cards, inspired by the ones found on The Cornerstone for Teachers. I also made a Go Fish game and some simple board games.

I wanted to develop some more games that reinforce and revise a wide range of maths concepts. I'm very lucky and teach in a classroom that's 1-1 laptop but the students just adore playing with manipulatives and partners. After being particularly inspired by Laura Candler's maths stations, I spent a fair portion of my Easter holidays putting together over twenty new games.

Students will only need to bring along their grid books and pencils. All the other equipment is included with each game included very detailed instructions and solutions. This makes it so simple for students to get started straight away or to play when they've finished their set work (or if they've already mastered multiplication facts).

There are three pictured here: a game from Fraction Frenzy, Factor Race and a laminated copy from a BLM on money. Some activities I laminated so that students can write on them with whiteboard markers whereas other sheets were slipped straight into the sleeve protector, especially if they didn't have additional equipment. This reduces the use of non-reusable plastic.

I have decide to give students a Must Do/Can Do grid listing the different games. It includes space for them to reflect on the activity (even if it's as simple as writing Easy, Medium or Hard). This grid is a digital document that they'll store on our Cloud.

Can't wait until school starts back next Monday and I begin introducing these games to the kids!

No comments:

Post a Comment