Monday, April 16, 2012

New Look Library

 We had a great first day back at school today. The students came into the room before the bell to put their laptops away since we have whole school assembly in the hall on Monday. I had been looking forward to the start of term as I am so excited about the academic work this term but when I saw their bright and happy smiles, I realised I was even more pleased to see my wonderful students again. 



When they entered the room they all stopped and stared at our new library! Inspired Stephanie from Teaching in Room 6, I finally went out looking for suitable containers on the holidays and found these green and pink buckets. I sorted the books thematically then designed, printed and laminated labels. Up until now, the books were in a cupboard as I ran out of time to organise them when we moved into our new classroom this year. Our school has an amazing library so we put a few books on display but didn't set up a classroom library.




Each category has both fiction and non-fiction together and a range of levels. The very short and simple books are in a bucket called Easy Reads. Other categories include Sports, Music, Poetry, Geography, Ancient and Medieval History, Other History, Fantasy, Movies, Realistic Fiction, Horses, Animals and more.




The students were especially excited to see the bucket for A Series of Unfortunate Evemts as several had seen the movie but never read the book. It made me smile to see that Anne of Green Gables was chosen by one of the girls as I adore all the Anne books and reread them every other year or so.


How great (and actually a little surprising) that the kids were so excited about the new library. The best part was hearing different people say, "I want to read such and such a book!". To finish off with, here is a picture from part of our reading area. There's another couch on the left hand side. The students love to curl up here with a book during reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment